Friday, November 20, 2015

Cakes and Pies

Another great 70's McCall's recipe collection, Book of Cakes and Pies, is 60+ pages of delicious dessert delicacies! Poundcakes, pastries, meringue and cream pies, fruit pies and foam-type cakes--whew! I get the sweats just saying those words in my head! The book is also a wonderful collection of illustrative fun and cuteness from Jean Courtright whose style harkens back to the 50's with loads of smiling faces about to get seriously stuffed with super sugar / carb overload! Yep, you'd be smiling too! We're getting closer to Thanksgiving, what desserts are you guys planning?














3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

You know, I never do bother making desserts. It isn't that I don't like them, but my sweet tooth is a little less developed than all my savory teeth. I tend to get seconds and thirds of the regular dishes before I head for the pies and things. Also, many desserts require baking, a enviable skill rather more like science than the way I usually cook (which is rather more like a Jackson Pollack painting). Still, as I get older, I am becoming more and more into the idea of developing desserts as a skill, so I think I'll file this one away for use later.

Love the cover most.

Craftypants Carol said...

super fab! i could eat desserts for bfast, lunch and dinner. but i'd also want salty stuff too right along with it.

i love the row of smiling heads :) but all the illus are great.

grape pie has just never sounded good to me though. i'll have to try it someday.

i'm not sure what we're having for thanksgiving but i'll let you know when i find out!

Mr. Karswell said...

Pretty sure whatever I do will be super ultra coconut enhanced-- either a creme cake or the dip I was showing you, CPC. Get desserty, Mr. C!

Thanks for the comments :)